The Alcohol Health Alliance UK have submitted a representation ahead of the Spring 2024 budget, setting out:
- the alarming rate that alcohol harm is continuing to grow at
- that the duty paid by the alcohol industry currently brings in less than half of its annual cost to society
- why an automatic uprating mechanism is imperative to ensure public health benefits of the new alcohol duty system are not lost through inflation or future cuts.
The submission makes the following recommendations:
- introduce an automatic uprating mechanism to increase alcohol duty by 2% above inflation
- revise duties on cider to ensure that they attract the same duty as beer
Read the full submission here: